This was inspired by a line in another poem I wrote a little while ago; while that one is not posted here, I am glad to see what that line has transformed into.
Mothers and fathers
Grandmas and grandpas
Sisters and brothers
They are all children of God
Laying scattered in the shadows of our city
People cross the street
Not humble enough to even give pity
Our daily thousands roll by on their daily commute
Grocery carts and tents in the park
Become the back-drop of our view
Who are we to judge their good and bad choices?
Their lack of material wealth
Has deafened the ears of our people to their voices
Yes, there are the vices and addictions that have worsened many
But shelters, places to bathe, and programs are not aplenty
The accommodations we take for granted
Makes our noses turn upward
Forget not the thin line that separates
Your wealth from your struggle
The large calming blue sea
That is your prosperity
Could easily dry up to a puddle?
Were you to find yourself in the same predicament
You would most assuredly be befuddled
What about our brethren dwelling under New York Avenue's bridge?
While construction nearby is underway
For the Squares and Courtyards where they will never live?
During this time of Recession
The rate of the homeless continues to rise
Each one struggling to hold on
But no one hears their cries
Every winter at a bus stop in the cold
A frozen deceased sole lies
Which they try to mitigate and negate
With 1-800 HELP-lines
What's another blanket without a bed to call his own
What about his next meal?
We deduce that is must be due to the seeds he has sewn
While riding in my car, the train or the bus
I know that what I have are pure blessings
Not mere luck
Even though we may struggle, some investing too much
Into material things-- with the Jones' to keep up
I may be one of the masses, but I do give a fuck
If nothing more, I count the blessings He pours on my head
Not truly knowing others' turmoils
For they are not to be compared
Every blanket, cart, bag and cardboard box
Are representative of a member of our Human Family
Shall they never be forgot.
BLF 4/14/09 ©
No comments:
Post a Comment