Growth is demanded from us all, for we are all capable of powerful potential
But in my life, as I gaze side to side, it often appears as though the personification of shallow superlatives are more influential
Than the growth that’s essential from us “Grown Folk”
Less the children coming behind us be so superficial
What value is being woven into our preset, which will soon become the past?
The hoarding of false tokens worth only a moment of consideration or passion that cannot last?
I sit back and watch as we dismiss our relative importance
Our moral worth reduced to fractions of common sense-
And spent as cents
On senseless shit
He can recall all the women he has slept with by their many “talents”
And she can tell you of all the places she’s been and the labels she’s received (secretly) for what’s under her chalice
Which both equally weigh nothing when calculated in the balance-
Virtuosity versus curiosity can indeed be a challenge
So when they say that they stuntin’, many are just stunted
Still hung up on silly fuck ups or paltry recognition that they wanted
Carrying on in middle age in immature ways, seemingly undaunted
Waking up too late in the day that is this life-
After the jaunt-
Its Yours, its Mine, its His and Hers, and its going to continue to Go
And while it’s moving on, we gotta continue to Grow
My intrinsic value I already know
And my remarkable and unique individuality is woven into the fabric of my flow
I can take the time to divulge how sexy I am
How as I walk my hips sway in undulation
But I’d rather engage in a mental exchange of stimulation about Obama’s Administration that would result in a deep contemplation from our conversation about saving the Haiti nation-
I recognize in my calling a greater stimulation
So I readily rise to the occasion to be the growing example on display
Because, baby, they’ll still look and get shook
Should I bear my intelligence instead of my breasts
Learn to show more by revealing less than your insecurities across your chest
No matter what they say, cockiness does not disguise insecurity, so use common sense
I am hoping you are keeping your mind open during this brief conference, cuz
We don’t always have to beat our chests to show dem We da Best
Get your roots in the ground and stop the shouting contest, because
Even the greatest never elevated without some humbleness
So I won’t discuss my attributes or give my measurements because
I need the focus on my Gift that’s Heaven sent
Professing myself, most assuredly to be Grown
But I had to G-R-O-W before I could get my N on
I’m tryna give you some of my spiritual wealth for you to spend on
In hopes that these seeds will sprout and continue to live on
And that the verses of my poems eventually give the DJ something to spin on
So, if you weary from fightin’ the good fight- just keep on
‘Cause the value of your life exceeds the price of the sheets you sleep on
And no matter how many times life knocks me down, Imma keep beatin’ my feet on
Sometime life’s a living Hell, but I tell ‘im to keep the heat on
Cause when we struggle then prevail
It gives us soil to sprinkle our seeds on
Thus giving us something to speak on.
Brandy "Poetryee Queen" Facey
Copyright © 2011 All Rights Reserved.
No comments:
Post a Comment