Monday, March 14, 2011


Wednesday was completely exhilarating! 

(This post was delayed due to technical difficulties)

Last night I had the opportunity to be the feature poet at WordPlay Wednesdays, hosted by Sir Charles Carey in Penn Mar. Though I was nervous, I am proud to say that I showed up. The audience was very supportive and responsive to my work. There is nothing like having a  true passion, overcome by it wrath thats crafted into the spoken word to be heard by a room full of people whose attention is directed at you and what it is you have to say.

I enjoy the restless energy that the idea of performance creates in me, and I enjoy rising to the occasion, nervous smiles included. But the sheer possibility of failure is a drug all its own; I decided to be everything I wanted to, in those moments, under that light, in front of a room full of strangers, because the alternative was not acceptable. A couple of the patrons introduced themselves to me, stating they were looking forward to what I had to deliver; I also recognized faces that also attend one of my favorite Open Mic  events hosted at Annie's Art Gallery by Cedric JusMe Hand in Camp Springs. Hence the proverbial straw on the camel's back had landed (no pressure).  I prayed about it, and requested the following: May this success be in my pocked before I even part my lips; that Nervous leave the building for the evening; and that Confidence be the Angel in white standing upon my right shoulder.

I introduced my set by singing a couple of lines from Erykah Badu's "Time's a Wastin'" from her album Mama's Gun:

"Times a wastin
Don't you take your time young man
Keep on drifting
Ain't no tellin' where you'll land..."

...which lead into the first piece entitled: LETs GrOw (written around 11/2010).  I then proceeded into my next piece, entitled Word after a brief intro/interlude to it. Lastly, I performed Betwixt and Between Thoughts. A couple of these poems are posted here, but I can assure you- they have been edited for peak delivery and probably are vastly different, with audience in mind.

The transition from page to stage has been a successful one, but I pray I look back on this a year from now and be able to say, 'That was many many mics ago....'

Queen is taking leave from this post. But to all my fellow poets out there, keep writing. Lets see where the pen strokes take us.

Brandy PoetryeeQueen Facey

No comments: